Home       About Me       Review Index

Friday, May 26, 2017

Stefanie's Thoughts: Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold by Iain Reading



After leaving her home in the western Canadian fishing village of Tofino to spend the summer in Alaska studying humpback whales Kitty finds herself caught up in an unforgettable adventure involving stolen gold, devious criminals, ghostly shipwrecks, and bone-chilling curses. Kitty's adventure begins with the lingering mystery of a sunken ship called the Clara Nevada and as the plot continues to unfold this spirited story will have armchair explorers and amateur detectives alike anxiously following every twist and turn as they are swept along through the history of the Klondike Gold Rush to a suspenseful final climatic chase across the rugged terrain of Canada's Yukon, the harsh land made famous in the stories and poems of such writers as Jack London, Robert Service and Pierre Berton. It is a riveting tale that brings to glorious life the landscape and history of Alaska's inside passage and Canada's Yukon, as Kitty is caught up in an epic mystery set against the backdrop of the scenery of the Klondike Gold Rush.

**Review copy received from the published for my honest review**


Hi everyone, 

Today I'll be reviewing an adventure story I'm so glad I got to read. Kitty Hawk is a book series focused on Kitty, a feisty adventurer and someone who I would love to be friends with. I can't lie; I don't think I've read another adventure series that has a girl as the main character. The second best part: the book takes place in Canada! 

I can only imagine what I'd be like if I got my pilot's license; I'd be flying everywhere looking for trouble (or should I say fun!). I mean Kitty gets herself into some trouble with how inquisitive she is about life, but that's what made it so much fun. Life really is one big adventure for Kitty to explore, and we as readers get to learn and explore along with her. 

My favorite part of this book was the short chapters. Mixed in with Kitty's first person narration, this entire book felt like an adventure journal and almost like one of those choose-your-own adventure books. I loved how maps and images were included throughout the pages and I hate (or love) to admit it, but I think I learned a whole bunch about whales from this book. 

Kitty was a fantastic main character. She was kind-hearted towards the whales, but tough as nails when she needed to be. She had a take-no-prisoners attitude! I loved it because it shows girls, that you can be a pilot in a male dominated field. 

My one negative is that Kitty had such an inquisitive mind, that her narration would jump back and forth and at times I had a hard time following along. Her mind jumped back and forth and it was like trying to follow the mind of a ten year old. I mean, it kept me interested to see where the story would go and I felt like she was reminiscent of Six from Blossom, with her fast talking and sharp wit. 

This is the first book of the Kitty Hawk series and I can't wait to read book two, just to see what trouble Kitty gets into next. I think I enjoyed it so much as well because I love traveling; granted I haven't been to that many places it felt like I went to the Yukon and Alaska with Kitty. I mean, don't get me wrong I'd take on criminals and stolen gold happily from the pages of a book or TV screen than in real life! 

Anyone looking for a great female-driven adventure story should check this one out.
Solid 4 out of 5 stars. 

Thanks to Books Publicity Service for providing me with a copy to read and review! 

Until my next review,

Stefanie


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl