Home       About Me       Review Index

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

My Thoughts: The Unseen World by Liz Moore


The moving story of a daughter’s quest to discover the truth about her beloved father’s hidden past

Ada Sibelius is raised by David, her brilliant, eccentric, socially inept single father, who directs a computer science lab in 1980s-era Boston. Home-schooled, Ada accompanies David to work every day; by twelve, she is a painfully shy prodigy. The lab begins to gain acclaim at the same time that David's mysterious history comes into question. When his mind begins to falter, leaving Ada virtually an orphan, she is taken in by one of David's colleagues. Soon after she embarks on a mission to uncover her father’s secrets: a process that carries her from childhood to adulthood.



This book... what can I say about this book? There have only been few books (recently) that have left me at a loss for words, like Liz Moore's The Unseen World. However, I still feel like I NEED to talk about this book, because honestly, this book is SO underrated and basically on no one's radar and that is such a shame.

First, The Unseen World spans a good chunk of Ada's life. It begins in the mid-eighties, Ada is twelve years old, living with her VERY eccentric single father. For all of Ada's life it has been her and her father, and his band of academics- and ends in 2016 when Ada is in her fifties (don't panic, it's not a massive book, about 450 pages). The story follows Ada as she grows up and begins discovering things about her father and their life that cause her to questions their quiet existence.

This book... during this entire reading (or listening process, I listened to the audiobook), there were several times where I felt compelled to stop listening, go to my bed, turn off all the lights and just cry, deep in the gut sorrowful sobs. Which leads you to believe that this is an incredibly heartbreaking story- it is, for sure, there are some very intense situations and emotions. But the story is more than a sad story- I promise. I just felt so much while listening- I would be at work battling tears, sniffling away and co-workers would walk by and awkwardly look at me (no one asked me if I was okay though-jerks). I never stopped listening though, I couldn't. 

There was SO much growth in this novel- Ada was such an incredible character- her life revolved around her father, David. When his mind began to falter, it was devastating. She was confused and restless and didn't really know how to do life. I felt like she responded in a really mature way for someone her age.  I adored Ada and I was glad for the incredible support system she had, Liston was a wonderful woman and I was glad for her presence in Ada's life.

This is a pretty slow burn novel, it's not face paced or action packed. But I never got bored, not once. The story is compelling enough to keep you reading.

A quick note on the audiobook narrator- Lisa Flanagan- She did an amazing job. Every character had their own unique voice- even Ada as she grew. I really think she did a huge service to this story. Well worth the listen. 

Overall, I adored The Unseen World, and I very glad to have read it. I want so many more people to read this and tell their friends to read it. 

~Happy Reading Everyone

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds like a book that's right up my alley. You're right it's nowhere near my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so your kind of book, Joy. I think you'd just love it. It just kills me no one is talking about it.

      Delete
  2. It's true, I only heard about this when you tagged me on GR or else it never would have made it on my radar. I'm sorry your coworkers are such jerks :p Hugs from afar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah- my co-workers aren't really jerks! Some of them just can't handle a crying female. This was good and I wish more people were talking about it. It'll probably be my most pushed book this year.

      Delete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl