Home       About Me       Review Index

Monday, May 22, 2017

My Very First Quarterly Unboxing






Hello Friends, 

This week I bring you something a little different. Today I am going to take you through this quarter's YA Box by Quarterly. It's a good one guys, be sure to keep reading.

There are a ton of literary subscription boxes available these days, so many options to cater to your wants and needs. It was a little overwhelming going through all the options- however, being in Canada, these options are SUPER limited, unless I want to spend a fortune. Unfortunately, there isn't a single subscription that is super accessible to us Canadians (at least none that I am aware of, if I am wrong, please enlighten me), the majority are American based who will ship to Canada, but the shipping costs are out of this world.  After looking at all of my options (or lack there of), I thought if I was going spend the money, I was going big. So, Quarterly it was. 

When I first heard about this box, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. An author curated box that arrives on your doorstep four times a year. 

if you haven't heard of  the Quarterly Literary Boxes before, here's the blurb found on the Quarterly website:


Receive three books a quarter, including a brand new release annotated by the author with hand-written notes, two more curated titles and delightful bookish goods—all delivered to your doorstep.


Doesn't that found fun?


The Box:
(Pardon the photos, it was gloomy and rainy today when I took them- I am also not a professional picture taker photographer). 



So this is what the box looks like when it comes to you. I had to go pick mine up from the post office, as I had to pay duty on the package. It's your general cardboard box, but it has the cute Quarterly packing tape along the edges. 


When you first open the box, this is what you see. I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I saw the Warcraft card sitting on top. But I was curious (and still am) about how it fits into the rest of the box.


Voila, this is the inside. I was very exited at this point. I loved seeing the handwritten letter from the author, and her little sticky note on the top of her book which reads, "Oi oi! Check out my annotations inside!



And the books. We get Rory Harrison's (the curator) newest release, Looking for Group, as well and two others which inspired her story: The Miseducation of Cameron Post and Nimona. I am VERY excited for all of these books. Rory's book is full of those blue stickies with her handwritten notes. It's pretty fantastic


The goods. There is a bookmark, a sighed book plate, some wall decals and more. 

I am actually pretty thrilled with this box. The whole concept is brilliant. I really loved reading the author's letter and seeing what inspired her story. I am a fan. My plan was to cancel my subscription after this first box, but I am not sure I will- I think I have been converted. 

Are any of you lit box subscribers? Any you know of I should give a try? Leave me a comment and let me know. 

~Happy Reading Everyone.





4 comments:

  1. Who curated it? I've always wanted to read both Cameron Post and Nimona - just haven't found the time to do so.

    I hope you'll enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rory Harrison. I am looking forward to all the books, just hoping to fit them in.

      Delete
  2. I like seeing pictures of subscription boxes but as you mentioned, shipping is crazy expensive. Also, I'm afraid that I might get a book that I don't like/have read and didn't like so then I'd be annoyed that I wasted my money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand the fear- this is kind of why I liked the Quarterly box, I could look up who was curating next. I just really wish there was a realistic option for us Canadians.

      Delete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl