Home       About Me       Review Index

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Thoughts: The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

Award-winning author Melina Marchetta reopens the story of the group of friends from her acclaimed novel Saving Francesca - but five years have passed, and now it’s Thomas Mackee who needs saving. After his favorite uncle was blown to bits on his way to work in a foreign city, Tom watched his family implode. He quit school and turned his back on his music and everyone that mattered, including the girl he can’t forget. Shooting for oblivion, he’s hit rock bottom, forced to live with his single, pregnant aunt, work at the Union pub with his former friends, and reckon with his grieving, alcoholic father. Tom’s in no shape to mend what’s broken. But what if no one else is either? An unflinching look at family, forgiveness, and the fierce inner workings of love and friendship, The Piper’s Son redefines what it means to go home again.




The Piper's Son is the third book I have read by Melina Marchetta this year. First was Jellicoe Road which holds a special place in my heart, the second was Saving Francesca and I enjoyed it, but not as much as Jellicoe Road, and most recently, The Piper's Son, and I really liked it. Maybe not as much as Jellicoe Road, but I liked how the story and the characters that were found in Saving Frencesca evolved and grew.

In Saving Francesca we are introduced to Francesca who attends a new school that is predominantly an all boys school. She knows few people and is forced to make new friends. It's a lovely story and the writing and characters are fabulous. One of the boys that Francesca meets is Tom Mackee. It is Tom's story that we get to read about in The Piper's Son. However, it wasn't only Tom's story that we got,  it was also that of his aunt, and it was that sub-plot that I loved the most.

I would sometimes get a feeling of euphoria while reading this book. I enjoy Marchetta's writing, and the way she tells a story so much that I just feel happy when I am reading her books. Marchetta writes what her characters are feeling in a way that allows you to experience those feelings, but not in a way that you are bogged down by them. Although Tom and his Aunt were both suffering extreme and intense emotions, it was never overwhelming to read about. I was able to empathize with the characters and still enjoy the story. It takes great skill to do that.

The thing I love the most about Marchetta's books are her characters. I love them. I wish they were real people so that they could be my friends. I don't think that I have read a single author who has made me love their characters as much as this woman. I love how she writes about their relationships with each other and  how they view themselves, I love seeing their inner struggle, and how they eventually come to terms with it.  Tom Mackee was a favourite of mine in Saving Francesca, and I loved reading more about him.  I really appreciated the relationship he had with his Aunt, he loves her and I loved reading about that, I really liked how loyal and loving Tom was towards his younger sister, and although they lived a ways away from each other, they still had a strong relationship.

Georgie's story was something amazing for me. She went through things that I hope never to have to face in my life. The death of a sibling, the betrayal of a partner, followed by an unplanned pregnancy by said ex-partner many years later. That's a lot for one woman to handle, adding on an abandoned nephew a missing brother (who later reappears with issues of his own). It was madness, and I think she did well, only breaking down a few times. I thought that Marchetta wrote Georgie beautifully, and I was moved to tears at the end of the book, and how things ended up for her.

A lot happened in The Piper's Son, and I am sure I could get majorly spoilery about it, but I don't want to ruin this amazing experience. I would encourage everyone to pick up something by Melina Marchetta and read it. It it totally worth it.

~Happy Reading Everyone!

16 comments:

  1. *Jumps for joy*

    I'm so glad you liked this one so much!! Jellicoe is also special to me but I loved the Piper's son - as in I just bought myself the Aussie edition as well because I'm weak and can't help myself.

    Anyway, I really loved how both Gerogie and Tom's stories mixed. and how much Tom loved his sister, how even at his worst, his sister was his constant. It made me love him to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, I'm really anxious to read this one but I need to get it first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I have never read a Melina Marchetta book, after hearing great reviews of all her books I just need to buy one. Just to know which one I should buy first..hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missie- I would suggest Jellicoe Road. It was amazing! Rowena- I keep waiting for you to read this book. Alex- I love the Austrailian cover so much more then the North American one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the way you describe Marchetta's writing and characters. So wonderful. I mean good grief, when am I going to get around to reading one of her books? Hopefully not too long from now. Will you be reading Finnikin of the Rock next soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aylee, you need to get on reading one of her books, and you should start with Jellicoe Road, it was one of my favourites! I will get to Finnikin one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it could be a great read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought Georgie's story was so heartbreaking and beautiful. It sort of overshadowed Tom's story a bit for me, but I still loved him. I agree, Melina Marchetta makes the most amazing characters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A definite read for me! Heard many great things about this. It's been on my TBR pile for a while now and I'm not really into reading it. Yet. But I will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this book, but I've heard the writer's other book, Jellicoe Road, is amazing so I'll definitely look into this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I won't read your review. Nothing personal but I can't wait to have this one and I don't want to know anything before I read it. I love Saving Francesca and I know that I'll love this one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melina Marchetta is an amazing writer, even though I've yet to read Saving Francesca and this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never read any of Melina Marchetta's books yet but this one sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. An inspiring review. Caring about the characters is what I really enjoy about this kind of book. I get no satisfaction from reading about characters I dislike. Perhaps I will try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This has been on my To-Buy list for quite sometime now... I need to get it really soon! I've been hearing great things about Melina Marchetta!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to read a book by Melina Marchetta, I love when I wish characters were real, it makes me love the book even more. This book sounds like an amazing, emotional read with beautiful writing. Adding it to my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl