Home       About Me       Review Index

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Thoughts: Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.








It's not often that I come away from a book not sure about whether I liked it or not.  But that's how I feel about Falling Under by Gwen Hayes.  It was an interesting read, that is for sure.  The concept of the story I didn't find particularly original, the whole paranormal piece felt very formulaic in a |been there done that", type of way.  In saying that, I shouldn't say the whole story was completely unoriginal. There were a few times where Hayes surprised me, and in a totally fabulous way. 

I have read multiple reviews where readers have loved the characters of Falling Under, I have also read as many reviews who have said that they sucked. I really liked the characters in Falling Under with the exception of one or two. Theia was a sweet girl -she maybe have been slightly annoying in a "Oh, I love him, and would do anything for him even though it's only been a few days" kind of way, but she was cute. Her anxiety at talking to boys was endearing, and it made me smile. Her friends, Donny and Amelia, were great. I think as far as friends go, they were pretty amazing. I really appreciated that Hayes did not fade Donny and Amelia to the background of this novel. They were true supporting characters- and they were important to the story, which isn't something that happens often. I liked Donny and her attitude towards Gabe, I thought it was pretty funny. One of my favourite characters was Varnie, haha. The 19 year old cross dressing psychic. So funny.  Totally made this book worth the read. 

Now lets talk about Haden. He bugged me like Edward from Twilight bugged me. I cannot stand the whole- I love you, but we can't be together it's to dangerous, but I can't stay away from you-crap. It's crap. I hate it. I'm sorry. Haden wasn't all bad. He's hot, like any male protagonist in a paranormal romance should be. He wasn't a total fail, I enjoyed his-I need Theia to lose interest in me-antics. Which he would then turn into another reason for her to love him.  That's about all that I liked about him.

The end of Falling Under was pretty good though, not at all what I was expecting. Which was kind of fun. I will probably keep reading the series, just to see what comes out of it. I think you should read this story, because some parts of it were pretty cool. But it's not a grrrrrrrreat read, it's an okay read.

~Happy Reading Everyone.

5 comments:

  1. I've been really quite unsure about this book. I am sure that I will read it at some point but I'm not in any rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to read this book, but now I'm second guessing... Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! Edward syndrome! That is also my biggest pet peeve. Boys do not get to "save" us. We can save ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great balanced review. Formulaic paranormal but with (mostly) great characters? Hmm, I think I'll mark this one as a maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a lot of mixed reviews for this one, but you've actually made me want to read it. I just like the idea that the female friendships are strong.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl