Home       About Me       Review Index

Monday, November 22, 2010

My Thoughts: Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

I generally love drama (which is totally pathetic I know). I think it's fun and entertaining and the more dramatic a situation is, the better. So when I read the synopsis for Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti I was pretty excited. The story looked like it would be full of drama:


Best friends Lani and Erin couldn't be more different. Lani's reserved and thoughtful; Erin's bubbly and outgoing. Lani likes to do her own thing; Erin prefers an entourage. There's no possible way they could be interested in the same guy.
So when Erin starts dating Jason, Lani can't believe she feels such a deep connection with him-and it may be mutual. The more Lani fights it, the more certain she feels that it's her fate to be with Jason. But what do you do when the love of your life is
the one person you can't have?
It's true the story was pretty dramatic, but not in a good way. I thought maybe it was a little over done (which is strange coming from me).
I found Erin and Lani's friendship to be a little bit tiresome. Erin was bossy and self-centered and I often wondered why Lani chose to stay friends with her; I found the whole concept that it was because Erin saved her life a little weak. I loved Lani because she's loyal, but when Erin finds out about her and Jason and then what she is put through and how she just takes it, that really drove me insane. I found myself screaming "come on, stick up for yourself!" What she did wasn't great, but really it was also not that big a deal.

I loved Blake though and the relationship he had with Lani. I thought "now there a real friendship" one that gives and receives, and I was so heart broken for Lani when Blake blames her for outing him, because she felt so bad. That was a pretty sad part.

There were other things that I did not like about the book, but there is no need to go into detail. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I were 10 years younger, I do realise that this book is a YA but I have read YA as an adult and enjoyed it. So...
Something Like Fate wasn't terrible but it wasn't very good either.
On a side note. I may not be posting much in the next week and a half. School is winding down which means assignments and tests are on full throttle. Which means I won't be reading much. But after the Dec 1st I have a little bit of time before exams start. Hopefully.
Until then,
Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl