Home       About Me       Review Index

Monday, October 10, 2016

#Spookathon 2016 TBR




Hello Everybody!

Well, believe it or not it's OCTOBER! And with it comes Halloween and all things scary. Now, I don't particularly like anything spooky, I don't do horror, ghosts or anything supernatural. It freaks me out to much. But recently I have discovered  a new fondness for thrillers and books that keep you at the edge of your seat. Which to me totally fits in with the October Halloween theme.

So, I have decided to participate in the #Spookathon hosted by Booktubers Books and Lala, Paige's Pages and Bookerly. The Read-A-Thon is taking place the week of Oct 17-23. You can check out Lala's intro to the Spookathon here.

I am actually pretty excited about participating in this read-a-thon. I really like the idea of a read-a-thon, but I find them a little daunting. Working full time doesn't really allow for a lot of focused reading. However, the #Spookathon doesn't really have many rules- there are no set number of books to read, no "you have to read this" lists, it's an all inclusive read-a-thon. So, if you think something is spooky, or thrilling, it's a go.

There are a few "challenges" if you will, but they are simple and you can probably complete all the challenges with one book if you'd like:

1. Read a thriller
2. Read a book with red on the cover
3. Read a book with a spooky word in the title
4. Read a 2016 release
5. Read a book with a paranormal character/creature

SO, for the #Spookathon I am aiming to read 3 books. The plan is to listen to one and read the physical books of two.



1- Dracula by Bram Stoker- I have been wanting to read this book for years. The movie is one of my all time favourites (Gary Oldman as Dracula is pure genius). The #Spookathon is finally giving me a chance to read it (although this is my audio read for the week). This book would complete the -Read a book with a paranormal character/creature- challenge.

2- Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris- I actually saw this one at the bookstore a couple weeks ago, and have been dying to read it since. I have requested it from the library and I think it should be available for me to read just in time for the week of the #Spookathon. This would complete a number of challenges - Read a thriller, Read a book with red on the cover and Read a 2016 release.

3- Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire- This is may be the lightest of the reads. I am super curious about the premise, a school for kids who have returned from adventures in other worlds. I believe there is a a murder mystery within the plot of this one, but I am not 100% on that. It's a short book, and I am convinced I will get it read quickly.  This would complete the challenge of -Read a 2016 release and read a thriller (I think).

The only challenge I don't have figured out is, Read a book with a spooky word in the title, I could try and argue that 'closed' is a spooky word, but that would be a stretch.

If I finish both my physical books, I think I may also pick up The Telling by Alexandra Sirowy- It's the feature read of the week, and all three hosts will be reading it. I have heard pretty good things about it. So, we shall see.

I will be tracking my progress during the #Spookathon on my Facebook page, so if you haven't already, head over and click 'like' if you're wanting to see how I am doing.

As I said, I am excited about this read-a-thon and I am exciting to dive into all the books. I am particularly stoked for Dracula. If you are also interested in participating in the #Spookathon, but sure to check out the videos for more details- I believe there are a few giveaways taking place as well.

~Happy Reading Everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I don't do horror either, Sara, but it's great that you're able to incorporate thrillers and still have the books count. I'd say Dracula is a spooky word in the title, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed that you were also taking part in Spookathon, Sara. I hope the read-a-thon went well! Hopefully you weren't too spooked by your reads :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl