Home       About Me       Review Index

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Stefanie's Thoughts: Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donnelly



Smart, bookish Belle, a captive in the Beast’s castle, has become accustomed to her new home and has befriended its inhabitants. When she comes upon Nevermore, an enchanted book unlike anything else she has seen in the castle, Belle finds herself pulled into its pages and transported to a world of glamour and intrigue. The adventures Belle has always imagined, the dreams she was forced to give up when she became a prisoner, seem within reach again.

The charming and mysterious characters Belle meets within the pages of Nevermore offer her glamorous conversation, a life of dazzling Parisian luxury, and even a reunion she never thought possible. Here Belle can have everything she has ever wished for. But what about her friends in the Beast’s castle? Can Belle trust her new companions inside the pages of Nevermore? Is Nevermore’s world even real? Belle must uncover the truth about the book, before she loses herself in it forever.


Hi everyone,

We all know about my Beauty and the Beast obsession, and when I saw this book at the library I knew I had to read it. I mean look at that cover! I always wanted that library from the movie!

It was so great to be back in this world; it felt like this book was a continuation to the animated made-for-DVD sequels Disney produced way back when (all of which I own of course ;) the Christmas one was my childhood favourite). It was really great to see the enchanted creatures get more of a staring role in this, we find out more about the secondary characters like Plumette (can someone write her own book already?!!).

The prologue felt maybe a little out of place at the beginning, but it all makes sense when you finish reading. I actually thought maybe I was reading the wrong book when I finished the prologue, but it didn't fit into any traditional Beauty and the Beast world that I know about.

I enjoyed that this book was able to give us another peek into Belle's and the Beast's relationship and we got to see it grow and come together more. The Beast seemed a bit more toned down in here than the abrasive nature he has in both movies (although, side note: I felt he was more rude in the animated and a bit nicer in the live action) and he seemed to act more human (cue music for Human Again!). It was nice to see their friendship blossom in a different context.

Belle was just as book loving as always and talked about books throughout. Her friendship with Chip was explored some more in here and I just loved her and Chip's scenes together.

Then we come across Nevermore, a place that feels like Narnia mixed with Wonderland. Nevermore is a place where nothing is as it seems and the tale of Persephone comes into the mix. I think I loved Nevermore the best because it wasn't just a textbook world; it was dark and scary and unpredictable. It was different than a Disney tale world, filled with twists and unexpected turns.

The only negative would be how rushed the ending felt, maybe everyone was wrapped up a little too much...I won't give any spoilers away though so I'll end it at that.

However, I loved the short chapters and I basically read this whole thing in one setting. It made me feel like I was back to being a child and I can't lie, I was two when the animated got released. I'm so happy I was able to read this and enjoy the world of Beauty and the Beast again.

A solid 4 star read here and I highly recommend it for any Beauty and the Beast fans. Fairy tales will always be a book love of mine!

Until my next review,

Stefanie

2 comments:

  1. It's too bad the ending was rushed but overall this sounds like an enjoyable read with a gorgeous cover. Growing up, I wanted a library with a ladder just like from the movie too. I'll have to see if this is available at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it is, because it's such a good read and I think it'll be perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl