Home       About Me       Review Index

Monday, January 16, 2012

My Thoughts: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.



**eArc received from NetGalley.**








I had absolutely no interest in reading Marissa Meyer's debut novel, when it first showed up on my reading radar. Robots and moon people were not really my thing. I am in no way a Sci Fi fan, and Cinder screamed Sci Fi to me. But than I started hearing more about this book and how wonderful it was. A lot of esteemed bloggers were calling this their favourite read of 2011, and how they couldn't wait until it hit the shelves so they could buy their own hard copy. These were bloggers whose judgement I trusted and respected. So, when I saw that it was available on NetGalley I thought I'd give it a try. Even after I was approved for the galley, I didn't begin reading it until it was almost expired. I was dragging my feet the whole 55 days it was available to me, it was only the realization that it was about to expire that had me thinking about reading it.

WHAT THE HECK TOOK ME SO LONG?!?!?! 

Cinder was SO good. I am telling you the truth. This book is as good as everyone is saying it is. Take my word on it. 

Cinder is a retelling of the popular Cinderella fairy tale. I was going to call it a modern day retelling, but there is nothing modern day about it. 

The story introduces us to Cinder; a cyborg- a human with robotic parts- and she lives in an era of a terrible plague that is taking the lives of humans at a rapid pace, with no cure in sight. How Cinder became cyborg is a grand mystery as she was "adopted" by a man who died soon after he returned home with her. Therefore Cinder is now the property of his wife- her evil step mother. Anywho, after a series of unfortunate events Cinder finds herself at the palace of their nations monarchy as a test subject. It is here she meets Dr. Erland who helps Cinder discover the truth about herself and her past. 

Meyer does such a wonderful job of telling this story. She puts a wonderful spin on this fairy tale retelling, one that isn't boring or trite- something that can sometimes happen when attempting to tell a story that's already been told. I loved the futuristic aspect to the story, I also really appreciated how it wasn't overly sci fi, everything was described well enough to keep confusion limited. 

The characters that Meyer created were fantastic. Every single one. From Cinder herself to her evil step mother, From Prince Kai all the way to Iko the robotic servant. They were all original and well developed, even the crazy lunar queen was a fascinating character. 

There were so many amazing things about Cinder. It really was a pleasure to read. Even if you think that it's not really your style, I would encourage you to give it a try. It might surprise you! 

~Happy Reading Everyone! 


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it so much! I should be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay--adding to my list too. I was thrown off by same things you were. Thanks for review.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl