Home       About Me       Review Index

Monday, April 25, 2011

My Thoughts: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer


Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers.
But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?




I had been dreaming of reading this book for a long time before I did. I would see it at the bookstore and see it's GORGEOUS cover and I would want to buy it but I would always walk away. I wanted to wait for the paper back to come out. I am SO disappointed that the covers for this series have changed. Let me tell you. The original covers are so beautiful they really are, if the new cover would have been the cover that Nightshade would have been released with I would not have looked twice at it (I'm sorry if that is rude). To me the new covers look cheap and poorly thought out.  But that's enough of a tangent.

This book has already received a ton of reviews and everyone loves it. And they should. It was really good. The synopsis found on the book is a little misleading, but that's ok. Andrea Cremer wrote a really great book. Her writing style is engaging and light. I didn't feel bogged down with big words and mangled sentences. The story and the writing flowed beautifully.

The plot was great. I would get stressed out a little when as a reader, I would figure something out, that eh protagonists wouldn't know about for a while. I would often catch myself yelling "Open your eyes". I'm silly like that. I loved the shifters and their lore. The idea of Keepers and Guardians was new to me and it intrigued me.

I loved the two wolf packs-The Banes, and The Nightshades- I loved how loyal they were to each other and I loved how they could come together and form a new pack (sort of). I loved how they were not thrilled about the idea, and how the would bicker back and forth. I liked Calla, I thought she was a great protag. I would get annoyed with her when she would submit to Ren when she should have held her ground (she's also an alpha), I liked Ren-even more then Shay- I thought he was cocky but sweet at the same time. He was loyal to his pack and he was fair. I didn't like it when he was get all alpha type and dominate Calla. I liked Shay, but I totally thought he was a wimp. I thought he whined a lot and did not take things like a man. He was such a suck. It's funny now. 

I am totally sucked into this series and I am really looking forward to Wolfsbane I can't wait to see where the story and these characters are heading.

Happy Reading Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I liked reading your opinions on this book. I agree with most. I did like Shay though but really didn't like Ren. I agree, I got annoyed when Calla would submit to Ren. I also agree that the writing was light and even though it was intricate, it was fairly easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl