Home       About Me       Review Index

Monday, January 17, 2011

My Thoughts: Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Sixteen-year-old Cara Lange has been a loner ever since she moved away from her best and only friend, Zoe, years ago. She eats lunch with the other girls from the track team, but they're not really her friends. Mostly she spends her time watching Ethan Gray from a distance, wishing he would finally notice her, and avoiding the popular girls who call her "Choker" after a humiliating incident in the cafeteria.

Then one day Cara comes home to find Zoe waiting for her. Zoe's on the run from problems at home, and Cara agrees to help her hide. With her best friend back, Cara's life changes overnight. Zoe gives her a new look and new confidence, and next thing she knows, she's getting invited to parties and flirting with Ethan. Best of all, she has her BFF there to confide in.

But just as quickly as Cara's life came together, it starts to unravel. A girl goes missing in her town, and everyone is a suspect—including Ethan. Worse still, Zoe starts behaving strangely, and Cara begins to wonder what exactly her friend does all day when she's at school. You're supposed to trust your best friend no matter what, but what if she turns into a total stranger?

I have two copies of Choker by Elizabeth Woods. None of the bookstores in my city had it on release day, which really annoyed me. So I ordered it, totally forgetting that I sent an e-mail to Simon and Schuster asking for a copy (they had some promo, and all you had to do was send an e-mail with your address). So One day I received that copy and the day after I received the copy that I bought (I might do a give away, we'll see).
Anywho, this book was ok, and I'll tell you why. I figured everything out by page ten, I had the whole story figured out. So once I knew that it was hard to get excited about reading it. Like getting really into a movie, but having the end spoiled by someone. My own mind spoiled this one for me.

It was good. The story was intriguing, and the writing was good. The characters were a little blah for me. But again I don't know if that's just me. I really liked the concept of the story and found it pretty creepy at times. I hated Cara's parents, they knew something was going on with Cara but chose to ignore it. They really irked me.

As I think about it more, I would recommend this book. It was an interesting read, not something I have every read before. For a debut novel, I am actually pretty impressed. My figuring out what was going on, was not due to bad writing, not at all. I seem to be able to do that sometimes. I haven't seen Johnny Depp's new movie The Tourist and I already know that he's in on the whole thing (sorry for everyone who wanted to see that).

So go out and buy this book, it was good and I want to know what everyone thought, so if you've read it, leave me a comment, and tell me your thoughts.


Happy Reading everyone!


4 comments:

  1. I have heard so many say they had ending figured out but it totally shocked me.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, lucky for me I tend to be pretty bad at figuring out those types of things ahead of time so hopefully I will be genuinely surprised when I get around to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate when the bookstores don't get the book on time? Soo frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The concept is intriguing! I really want to read Choker sometime this year. I wonder how you could outline the whole story by page ten?:D I hope it is not that obvious so I still can enjoy the read! I already begin to speculate about Zoe's reason to come back and what that's all about.
    Also I so love the name Ethan! Silly and no major plus point in reading Choker, but still:P

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl