Home       About Me       Review Index

Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Thoughts: Girl in the Wall by Daphne Benedis-Grab

Ariel's birthday weekend looks to be the event of the season, with a private concert by rock star Hudson Winters on the grounds of her family's east coast estate, and all of Ariel's elite prep school friends in attendance. The only person who's dreading the party is Sera, Ariel's former best friend, whose father is forcing her to go. Sera has been the school pariah since she betrayed Ariel, and she now avoids Ariel and their former friends. Thrown together, Ariel and Sera can agree on one thing: this could be one very long night.

They have no idea just how right they are.

Only moments after the concert begins and the lights go down, thugs open fire on parents and schoolmates alike, in a plot against Ariel's father that quickly spins out of control. As the entire party is taken hostage, the girls are forced apart. Ariel escapes into the hidden tunnels in the family mansion, where she and Sera played as children. Only Sera, who forges an unlikely alliance with Hudson Winters, knows where her friend could be. As the industrial terrorist plot unravels and the death toll climbs, Ariel and Sera must recall the sisterhood that once sustained them as they try to save themselves and each other on the longest night of their lives.


Thanks goes to Merit Press and NetGalley for eArc

This book sounds pretty crazy eh? A 24 hour birthday party that turns into a bloody massacre in a matter minutes. It was pretty intense I can tell you.

I whipped through The Girl in the Wall by Daphne Benedis-Grab. It took me a matter of hours to read it. In the midst of papers and exams I could not put this book down. I was enthralled! Every time I thought it was time to put the book down and start doing something else, something would happen that would make it impossible. Benedis-Grad knows how to write a story that keeps readers on their toes. The Girl in the Wall was exciting to read.

I will warn you though. This is one gore ridden novel. I was not expecting the amount of death that was in The Girl in the Wall. Not just death, but graphic death.

In case you didn't get it before now, I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the concept of the novel- I thought the hostage situation was something different. It was frightening and thrilling all at once.  The plot of the story was great, however, at times it was a little transparent. It was easy to see who was behind the whole fiasco. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. But there were times  where there was little explanation as to why certain things happen. I wanted more from this book. I wanted it to be longer. It needed to be longer. The book itself is only about 250 pages (fairly short), however it would have been a wonderful novel if it had another 50-75 pages.

The characters as well were okay, but also could have used a little more development. I liked Sera, and Ariel wasn't as self-involved as I thought she would be. Hudson was the most complex character and I really enjoyed his interactions with Sera, also with Ariel.

Although I really enjoyed The Girl in the Wall and it was a quick read for me, ultimately I wish it was longer and that there was a bit more to it. Benedis-Grab is a great story teller and I will absolutely be looking to read more by her.

The Girl in the Wall hits stores Tuesday Dec 18th.

~Happy Reading Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I was wondering about this book but I hadn't read a review of it, it sounds pretty interesting though not really my kind of read.
    Thanks for the Gore-Galore advisory! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl