Home       About Me       Review Index

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Series Review: Darkness Chosen by Christina Dodd


A thousand years ago, a brutal warrior roamed the Russian steppes and struck a sinister bargain. In return for the ability to change at will info a coldhearted predator, Konstantine promised his soul—and the soul of his descendents—to the devil.

Then one day a dangerous prophecy reveals the truth: One family has been chosen to battle the darkness—or face damnation.


I am a romance reader. I love romance novels. I love love. However, since starting the blog I have not read as many romance novels as I used to (maybe because I don`t really enjoy reviewing them). However in the last couple of months I have gone back to my romance novels and I have been reading them like crazy.  

Like most novels out there, romance novels also come in series, and I recently finished one by an author I love- Christina Dodd- I really enjoy her paranormal romance novels. They are fun, and full of alpha males and strong willed females. They are a pleasure to read. 

The Darkness Chosen series by Dodd is not the series I recently finished, but it is my favourite of the ones I have read. Here I present to you four small reviews of each book in the series. 

The series follows the Wilder family. Kontantine and this wife Zorana and their four kids (three boys and one girl). As you may have already guessed, each of the four novels in The Darkness Chosen series follows one of the Wilder kids. 

Book One: Scent of Darkness


Ann Smith loves her dynamic boss, Jasha Wilder, but her daring plan to seduce him goes awry when she encounters a powerful wolf who, before her horrified eyes, changes into the man she adores. She soon discovers that she can't escape her destiny, for Jasha is Konstantine's descendant, and Ann is the woman fated to break the curse that binds his soul.

Of the four I have two that I enjoyed better than the others and this is number one. I loved the way this book introduced the story and the legend. I enjoyed how we got to see tidbits of what was to come and how Ann was involved with fulfilling the prophecy. There was, absolutely, some things missing in this book, however, this was only the first of four books, and needed to keep readers waiting a little. 


What I enjoy the most about this series are the characters. I love the way Dodd develops her characters and their individual personalities. I loved the patriarch of the faimly, Konstantine and his wife Zorana.  They loved their kids and worried about their roles in breaking the curse. 

Book Two: Touch of Darkness

Handsome, powerful Rurik Wilder holds the power to transform himself into a fierce bird of prey-a gift that's caused death and destruction.

At last he's offered the chance to redeem himself. Only one woman stands in his way-a beautiful writer determined to wreak revenge on the assassins who murdered her family. Assassins, it's been rumored, who have powers no human should ever possess...

Of the four books Touch of Darkness is the one I liked the least. I feel like Scent of Darkness was the introduction novel, Touch of Darkness had that second novel syndrome. Although this novel did not feel like a filler novel. It was definitely a necessary addition to the series. However I did not connect with this brother, and his relationship with his love interest, Tasya, was unimpressive. I did appreciate how the story progressed in Touch of Darkness. I just wasn`t believing the romantic part of it. 


Book Three: Into the Shadow

Blessed or cursed with the ability to change into a sleek panther, and driven by a dark soul he`s accepted as his fate, Adrik Wilder abandons his family and his honor to pursue a life of wickedness. He excels at every vice, including kidnapping Karen Sonnet to use for his selfish purposes.

But Karen`s spirit and passion make him question the force of his family`s curse. And when a new evil emerges, Adrik must choose whether to enact revenge on his enemies and redeem his soul, or save Karen from a fate worse than death?


Into the Shadow was my favourite of the four. I found this one to be a perfect mix of steamy romance and crazy adventure. Adrik was my favourite Wilder brother, and I loved how he was the black sheep of the family. Touch of Darkness almost felt like a different novel-a different series. It was a different setting and the people involved were slightly removed from the standard characters. Their presence was there but they weren`t central. I liked Karen, I really liked her spunk. She was a fighter and could take Adrik when he crossed the line.  

Book Four: Into the Flame

Brutally handsome cop Doug Black is determined to find the birth family who left him with nothing but a terrifying inheritance: the ability to change into a savage golden cougar. His search leads him to a woman as dauntless and exotic as her name. Firebird Wilder is bitterly familiar with supernatural gifts, and flees on discovering his secret, leaving Doug alone once more. But no one can escape a wild cougar on the hunt. When he finds her, they must decide which is more powerful — the love that binds them together…or the secrets that threaten to tear them apart.

The conclusion to The Darkness Chosen series was a little underwhelming. I found that the story was a bit rushed. I think there were a number of elements to Firebird`s story that were there but not explained. I did like the book, but I expected more from the finale. I thought Doug was a little whiny. He got the short end of the stick- we know that, but he needed to get over it and relax. But the story moved along well, and I was pleased with the twists that took place. 

I liked the the way the whole story ended. Things wrapped up well, and according to me there were no question left unanswered. This is not always the case. Dodd did a wonderful job with this series. I thought it was creative and well executed. 

I have reread The Darkness Chosen series a number of times and I probably will reread them a couple more times. I would encourage those who like romance novels and paranormal romances to check this series out. It is well worth it. Her other series- a some what spin off of this one-The Chosen Ones series is pretty good as well, just not as good as this one. 

~Happy Reading Everyone! 





1 comment:

  1. You know! I read these books when they came out and I think I agree with you.
    Books one and three were my favorite, Adrik's story seemed to just be there and Into the Flame was a bit meh.
    But I do like Ms Dodd's writing and that I can tell she's a romance author first and then she adds the setting later (be it contemporary, historical or paranormal)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl