Home       About Me       Review Index

Thursday, December 29, 2011

End of Year Book Survey: 2011


I can hardly believe that it's the end of the year already! Like really?!?!?! It's amazing! I love thinking about all the books that I have read in the past year. So this End of Year Book Survey is one of my favourite things to participate in. You can find all the info about the survey over at The Perpetual Page-Turner.

So onto the survey...

1) Best Book You Read In 2011?

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, hands down!
One of the best books I have read ever, never mind just this year. It was incredible!


2) Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?
Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon.
I really enjoyed this book for the most part, however the end really ruined it for me. I really wanted to like this book more than I did. But the end ruined it for me.

3) Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?

Witchlanders by Lena Coakly.
I am not usually a fan of high fantasy. Actually I usually find it a little boring. So when I read this book and loved it, I was SO surprised. The writing is beautiful and the two protagonists are fantastic. I really enjoyed this book. 



4) Book you recommended to people most in 2011?

a) Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma.
This book tore me to pieces and I recommend it to anyone who has the strength to read it. but the writing it incredible.

b) Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.
As I said, this book was amazing. It was the book that I gave as RAK gifts the most, I raved about it, and I push it on everyone. It's FANTASTIC, go read it! 

5) Best series you discovered in 2011?

This is a hard one, because I haven't read to many series this year, I mean I have begun a series- many series. I also completed a trilogy (but it wasn't my favourite, so not worth mentioning).
But in the spirit of answering this question:

The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano.
I read Wither earlier this year and I loved it, and I recently finished Fever and it was amazing. So considering I am two thirds done the series and I think it's amazing.




6) Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?

I hate to sound like a broken record and everything but...
Melina Marchetta- I have read three books by her this year and I have loved every single on of them. She is a phenomenal story teller. Really.
Ellen Hopkins- I love her writing style. When I first read it I wasn't sure I was going to like it. But I do, I love it, and her stories always leave me in tears.

Alms Katsu- I read her debut this year, The Taker, and it was fantastic. I loved every minute of it. I can't WAIT for The Reckoning to come out later in 2012.

7)  Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Wither by Lauren DeStefano.
believe it or not, but I was not a fan of Dystopian novels before I read this book. In all honesty, I hated them. I thought they were horrible and hopeless. But Wither was really good, and I loved the world that DeStefano created. It was fascinating.

I have since read many dystopians and there have been some that I have not liked, but others that I loved. I don't find them so hopeless anymore!

8) Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.
If you have read this book, you know why. This book had me on the edge of my seat from page one. I had no idea what was going on, who was Mara Dyer? What happened? It was insane, and I loved every minute of it. Truly I did. Once I started this, there was no way I was putting it down.

9) Book you most anticipated in 2011?
We'll Always have Summer by Jenny Han.
I loved this series. The Summer I Turned Pretty is a book I loved reading. I loved the story and the characters. I loved it all. So the conclusion to this trilogy came out this year and I was eager to get my hands on it. I was insane for the last half of April, I needed to know who Belly ended up with. It was driving me insane.

10) Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?
Collide by Megan Hart.
I love this cover, I think it's incredibly hot, and having read the book, I find the cover suits the story. I think the cover suggests a lot without being sleazy/raunchy. It's gorgeous.




11)  Most memorable character in 2011? 

Georgie Mackee from The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta.
Georgie is one of my most favourite characters from any book I have read. I loved her. She was a brilliant lady with real problems and she handle them with all the class that a normal individual would (which was with none at all). She fell into bed and didn't come out for a week. She was human and grieving and she worried about her family. She was amazing.

12) Most beautifully written book read in 2011?

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.
What a fantastic book. Beautiful story, beautiful characters.

13) Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
This book made me realise how much the actions of others (no matter how small) can affect the life of another. Some called Hannah selfish and petty, I don't think so. The actions of others hurt her, and it was how she perceived them; it's different for everyone!

14) Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
I know, I know.
But I finally got to it last month, and I plan on reading the rest of the series in the new year.

15) Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011?

This is where I fail. There are to many to name.

16) Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012? 

The Taker by Alma Katsu.
This was such an amazing book and I can't wait to have the chance to reread it, I am hoping to before the sequel.



17)  Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

The end of Mara Dyer was a huge WTF for me. Actually the biggest, the sequel is my most anticipated for 2012, I am dying to know what happens next. 

Well, that's been my year. I read many amazing books this past year. So many that I didn't name. I am looking forward to many more in the year to come!

~Happy Reading Everyone!

 











 

6 comments:

  1. Ahaha the end of Mara definitely had me needing to blab it to everyone!
    I definitely hope to read Jellicoe Road and Piper's Son this year and when I do you'll be the first I'll tell :P
    And glad you finally read Hunger Games! *cheers* Can't wait for the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seals it: I must read at least one thing by Melina Marchetta in 2012. It's just ridiculous how many times I get recommended her books and yet, somehow, I have yet to touch any of them.

    Also: I was also surprised by how much I loved Witchlanders; I also loved Wither and I hope to get to Fever soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jellicoe is so, so awesome!! And Wither too. I'm so happy you sent them to me as an RAK way back when, so I can re-read them. =D

    Ooh The Hunger Games! So awesome. I think a lot of people are still discovering this one, especially with all the movie news this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jellicoe Road is high on my list of books to read in 2012. I'm glad you loved it so much. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aylee -YES!! you must read melina in 2012!!

    Sara - I'm so happy you loved Jellicoe so much, that book is made out of pure awesomesauce. I think it invented awesomesauce.
    *takes a moment to droll after Jonah Griggs*

    Ok... moving on.

    This was an awesome survey, I'm taking notes of some of the books I haven't read yet!

    happy 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jellicoe Road...I'm going to read it eventually (why haven't I already started!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl