Home       About Me       Review Index

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Thoughts: Something Wicked by Lesley Anne Cowan


So it would seem that I had another chunk of time off work and decided to spend it doing what I so love to do. Now, I talked about me reading a fairly dull novel in my last post and how it was making me not want to read it; however once I've started something I am afraid that I must finish it. So the other day I finished Something Wicked by Lesley Anne Cowan, and I have to say that I was not at all happy with this story. I felt like it was a huge waste of time.

I hate saying that a book was bad, because I know that a lot of effort goes into writing it, and that if I tried to write a book it would be garbage, so what do I know about what's good and what's bad? But this was a terrible story. It was dull and boring and the main character Melissa made me want to scream, she was annoying and I did not once pity her the way I think the author wanted me to. The overall plot had a lot of potential, but the content lacked any hope for Melissa, that maybe things would look up for her.

This book does fall into the young adult genre, and maybe this is what teenagers are wanting to read, but I don't know. It wasn't something I was interested in at that age.

I spent the night last night finishing up Kate Brallier's The Boundless Deep, which I rather enjoyed. It was kind of spooky, with a little romance and had a mystery that needed to be solved and that was also laced with a bit of humour. It was a lot of fun to read. Compared to what came before, it was a lovely treat. Brallier has another novel out called Seal Island that I wouldn't mind picking up and seeing what it's all about. Perhaps before the summer's out.

Now I move onto classics, lets see where that takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl