Home       About Me       Review Index

Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Thoughts: Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult.


It's pretty late now; late for me anyhow, and I am sitting here listening to Liar by Never Ending White Lights. I find it interesting that my itunes has tuned into this song just as I finish reading Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult. A story all about lies and liars.

I wrote about this story briefly the other night because it was driving me mental. Picoult's stories do this to me every time. I start reading them and usually in the first 100 pages I have no trouble putting the book down when I need to do things like work, sleep, eat. But after that, forget it, I need to take vacation days to finish a story she's written.

Salem Falls is the 4Th book by Picoult that I've read. I save them for the summer because that's when I have the most time and no papers waiting to be written. This particular story was much like the ones I've read before. If you've read her before you know what I mean. I don't like "suspense novels", but I do enjoy suspenseful stories, if that makes sense. What I do enjoy in a book is people, and relationships and how they work with each other. I love human interaction and reading about it fictionally is just another person's idea of that.

Picoult does this every time, creates wonderfully intense characters and heart breaking relationships that seem doomed, relationships that should never work: but somehow do. In Salem Falls you get people falling in love for the first time and having that destroyed by some one's lie. Or is it a lie? You get the suspense of a court case (that's not boring at all, it's almost the best part) and you have secrets and lies with truth and twists.

With every one of her books I am never sure if I am going to like it, or if I remember her writing to be as good as it is. I don't know why. I get stressed out during the stories and need to finish them quickly that's for sure. But they are fabulous. I am going to take a mini break before I go into the next one. I need to get a life beyond the pages of her books.

I would most definitely suggest reading this one. It was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl