Home       About Me       Review Index

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Stefanie's Thoughts: Not Now, Not Ever by Lily Anderson



Elliot Gabaroche is very clear on what she isn't going to do this summer.
1. She isn't going to stay home in Sacramento, where she'd have to sit through her stepmother's sixth community theater production of The Importance of Being Earnest.
2. She isn't going to mock trial camp at UCLA.
3. And she certainly isn't going to the Air Force summer program on her mother's base in Colorado Springs. As cool as it would be to live-action-role-play Ender's Game, Ellie's seen three generations of her family go through USAF boot camp up close, and she knows that it's much less Luke/Yoda/"feel the force," and much more one hundred push-ups on three days of no sleep. And that just isn't appealing, no matter how many Xenomorphs from Alien she'd be able to defeat afterwards.

What she is going to do is pack up her attitude, her favorite Octavia Butler novels, and her Jordans, and go to summer camp. Specifically, a cutthroat academic-decathlon-like competition for a full scholarship to Rayevich College, the only college with a Science Fiction Literature program. And she's going to start over as Ever Lawrence, on her own terms, without the shadow of all her family’s expectations. Because why do what’s expected of you when you can fight other genius nerds to the death for a shot at the dream you’re sure your family will consider a complete waste of time?

ARC provided by Raincoast Books for an honest review




Hi everyone,

Today I'll be reviewing Not Now, Not Ever by Lily Anderson. 

Let me start off by saying I LOVED THIS BOOK! It reminded me a lot of Geek Girl, a series I adored! I feel like if you have a nerdy side and LOVE pop culture, than this book is for you. I love all things nerdy, so I knew this would be a great read. 

I will say I didn't read Anderson's first book, but I do own it; I didn't realize that this was a sequel, I thought it was just her second stand-alone novel. I wasn't confused by not having read the first one and could easily follow along with the story and characters. 

I loved Ever, what Elliot calls herself when she re-invents herself. I loved the idea of re-inventing herself, because who hasn't wanted a fresh start and to be someone else? I know I have and while I haven't had the opportunity to re-invent myself, I still wish I could have when I as younger and away from my family and friends. 

Ever finds herself involved in some funny blackmail schemes involving family, and I loved this. It felt like something I would have found myself involved in. Plus Ever has the most sarcastic nature ever (see what I did there?) and I loved her for that. 

Oscar Wilde's book Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favourite books of all time, so I loved the addition of quotes from Importance of Being Ernest; it also added an additional geeky factor to it!

I know I will be going and reading the first book of this series ASAP! I can't wait to read what else Anderson throws our way, her next book is already on my tbr list! 

Make sure you read this books guys, it's awesome! 

4.5 stars!!

Until my next review,

Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl