Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and Bookish.
Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS Than I Did
This week's topic I have split into two sections. Five books I enjoyed more than I thought and five books I didn't.
Top Five I Liked:
1) Witchlanders By Lena Coakley- I wasn't sure what to expect when I first began reading this book. I am not a huge fan of fantasy novels and I wasn't convinced that I was going to like it. But as I continued reading I was pleasantly surprised with how much I was enjoying it. In the end, Witchlanders was one of my favourite books of 2011. It was beautifully written and the story was a lot of fun.
2) Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver- This was a fantastic read. I wasn't sure I would like it because it is a middle grade novel and I hadn't thought much of middle grade novels. However, when I was reading this book I couldn't put it down. It was a lovely story.
3) The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta- Because I loved Jellicoe Road so much I wasn't sure that Marchetta could enchant me again. But she did it, she totally got me. The Piper's Son was an absolutely beautiful story. If you have not read this book. Get on in.
4) Across the Universe by Beth Revis- I do not like Sci Fi. I find it boring and complicated and my eyes Across the Universe was more than just a Sci Fi novel. It was suspenseful and romantic, it was funny and heartwarming. I liked it.
cross just thinking about it. But
5) The Taker by Alma Katsu- When I first read this book I thought I was getting another vampire novel. Whoa was I ever mistaken. There are no vampires involved in this book. The writing is phenomenal and the plot is so unique and surprising. To this day I get excited thinking about the plot twists and character development.
Top 5 That I Didn't Like:
1) Looking for Alaska by John Green- Now before you get all crazy on me... I did not like this book as much as I thought I would. Readers everywhere have raved about this book. I did not see what the big deal was. I thought Alaska was one of the most annoying characters I have ever read about. I was sure that after reading this book I would never read another book by John Green... we all know how the played out.
3) Choker by Elizabeth Woods- I thought this book was going to be fantastic. It was not. I did not like it at all. I guessed the twist maybe fifty pages into the story. It was rather disappointing. What can you do.
4) Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon- Again the synopsis of this book was SO interesting. And the story was good, but the writing was all over the place. I was never sure what exactly was going on. The end also really ticked me off.
5) Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater- I did not like this book. I can't even remember exactly why. All I know is that I was not thrilled with it. I think it may be the whole romance between Sam and Grace and their insta-love. I will say, I did enjoy the rest of the series a bit more, but not by much.
That's it for me. I hope you enjoy!!