Home       About Me       Review Index

Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Thoughts: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?


**ARC received from Simon and Schuster Canada**



First, let me say- writing reviews for sequels is really hard. It's hard because you don't want to spoil anything, it's hard because there is so much background from the first novel that you refer to and sometimes those details are a little hazy, and it is especially hard because in most cases- including this one- the sequel is the second in a series of three. First books in a series are easy to review; they introduce characters, develop plot and generally gives you the stories background. It is not that hard to form an opinion on. The third book also, isn't that hard to review. It wraps the story, and it's pretty easy to say whether you liked the way the story ended, if you felt satisfied. With the "dreaded" second novel, not so easy. What is there to say?

Well...

The Evolution of Mara Dyer was one of the few novels that I was MOST anticipating this year. Upon finishing Michelle Hodkin's debut The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I was genuinely stunned and I NEEDED to know what was to come. The cliff hanger in the novel was unbelievable. I remember being very impressed.  With that said, I had high expectations for The Evolution, I expected to have some answers, I expected to have more questions and I expected to be ok with that. looking back, that is exactly what I got. What I didn't expect is to be as confused about where the story is going as I am now.

Throughout the novel there is this question- Is Mara crazy? Is everything she is experiencing or has experienced in her head? Is she developing schizophrenia, PTSD or something else? Is she really just paranoid? or are there supernatural elements that need to be considered? I will say I waffled back and forth between the two theories. There were times when I was sure Mara was just losing it, that all she was going through were symptoms of some mental malady. There were other times that I thought-no way- there has to be a more sinister explanation to what's going on. Hodkin definitely kept me on my toes in terms of what was happening to Mara. When I was sure I had things figured out, something would happen and I wouldn't be so sure anymore.

I have read a few reviews that have said that readers liked Noah more in this novel than it's predecessor. while I can agree and say that Noah went through the most character development and evolved the most in The Evolution, I found nothing incredibly wrong with him in The Unbecoming. I appreciated him and his role more in The Evolution, I liked how supportive of Mara he was and how he believed what she was saying. He also didn't coddle her. Go Noah

There is a falshback/vision segment to this novel and while we have no idea what is means and where it is leading, I really enjoyed those parts. It was fun trying to figure out their connection to the overall story. Again, it was another, you think you've got it all figured out, but really, not so much.

The end of The Evolution of Mara Dyer confused me a little. My first response to read it, "I don't get it."  I think because I was expecting something completely different than what I got.I don't know that I would call it a cliff hanger as more of a "what just happened?" kind of ending. I am very much looking forward to the final installation to this series. I have really enjoyed what Michelle Hodkin has created and I want to know what is actually going on, and how it's all going to pan out.

~Happy Reading Everyone!


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad this sequel lived up to the first book, I've heard lots of good things about it.

    :D
    I'm happy you enjoyed it, even with the "what did just happen" moments. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good- I STILL need to read Unbecoming.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I just realized I never commented on this review! (I got your package, btw - thanks again! The signed swag was such a nice treat). I bet this would be very hard to review, but I think you did a good job. Still dying to read what happens after the cliffhanger in The Unbecoming! I'm glad Noah's character evolved in this one - I was one of the people who wasn't incredibly taken with him in the first, so I'm looking forward to some change in his character. I can't wait to read this ending!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl