Home       About Me       Review Index

Sunday, October 15, 2017

My Thoughts: Amid the Stars and Darkness by Chani Lynn Feener


Delaney’s entire world is thrown into chaos after she is mistaken for Lissa Olena, an alien princess hiding out on Earth in order to escape an arranged marriage.

Kidnapped by the princess’s head bodyguard, Ruckus, and imprisoned in an alien palace, Delaney is forced to impersonate the princess until Olena can be found. If she fails, it will lead to an alien war and the eventual enslavement of the entire human race.

No pressure or anything.

Factor in Trystan, the princess’s terrifying betrothed who is intent on unraveling all her secrets, and her own growing feelings for Ruckus, and Delaney is in way over her head.


**Review copy received from publisher for my honest review**


I liked this book. There I said it. I wasn't expecting to like it. I thought it would be okay, if not a bit lame. Boy was I wrong. Amid the Stars and Darkness reminded me a bit of the Marissa Meyer's the Lunar Chronicles (a la Scarlet/Cress meets True Blood (sort of ). 

This is Delaney's story as she is taken from Earth by some aliens (who basically look human and have recently been outed), transported to an alien planet (by mistake) and then forced to impersonate their dodgy princess. Oh and she's supposed to ascend to the throne and marry a dude she's not very fond of. The only real friend she has is in her trusty protector/love interest Ruckus, who is pretty swoony. So, here is this poor girl, being forced to do something she wasn't expecting to do, cause if she doesn't, she may very well die.

As I mentioned earlier, I really found myself enjoying this book. I was entertained and I was invested enough to want to keep reading and find out how things were going to play out. I really enjoyed the world building, I would say this book is sci-fi light- as in, if you're interested in trying sci-fi, this would be a good place to start. I felt like the plot was well rounded and developed. 

With all that I enjoyed with this book. I have to tell you it's probably not a stellar piece of material. There were some incredibly corny moments (like boarder line cringe worthy).  The relationship development between Delaney and Trystan was a little unrealistic- he went from trying to kill her, to being kind of enamored by her pretty quickly, which was, admittedly, a little wishy-washy. But, at the time, I kind of didn't care, I loved how over dramatized and over the top everything was. However, this is not going to be the case for everyone. I can totally see how some people would really have a lot of issued with this book.

Overall, I enjoyed Amid the Stars and Darkness, and I am actually pretty excited for the sequel (which was recently announced), Between Frost and Fury. I want to know what's going to happen with these characters that I so enjoyed.

~Happy Reading Everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd have issues though with the fact that Delaney falls in love with Ruckus after he kidnaps her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally this would also really irritate me. But I didn't really notice. The author was good at the transition.

      Delete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl